Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Playing for Keep(er)s

Most people do not understand fantasy baseball. They ask, "How can you spend 27 hours a week managing a fake baseball team?" I just shrug and laugh it off. It is my national pastime, my #1 hobby, and the primary way I spend my non-working and non-sleeping hours. I'm not asking you to understand, but rather only to tolerate my obsession.

In my fantasy league, you are able to designate 3 "keepers", or players that you can roll-over from your previous year's team to your current year's team. This year, I selected Josh Hamilton, my namesake, to be one of my keepers. He is the reigning AL MVP and a 5 tool player, all for a 4th round fantasy value! Today, Josh Hamilton hurt his shoulder, and it turns out that it was a small displaced fracture of the "humerus" bone. Well I don't think there is anything "humorous" about this. He is out 4-8 weeks, and I am going to need to piece together a solution.

Hamilton is the type of player who is fun to watch (or a pleasure to own as I like to say), and it is disappointing to know I won't be seeing him for a few months. It is like a friend going on an extended vacation or moving away- I am going to miss him. So this post goes out to Josh Hamilton- get well soon my man, the Amazin's need you back ASAP.

No comments: